Parenting in the First 3 Years Podcast
#19: Keeping a Growth Mindset While Parenting
with Estelle Giraud
When you have a growth mindset, you believe that your abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work (compared to solely relying on brains and talent). Many expecting parents think if they can just read enough books and do enough Googling leading up to the birth of their child, they’ll be prepared for everything to come. Too bad that’s not how that works. In order to become better parents, give our children more meaningful experiences, and make deeper connections with them, we must have a growth mindset. But what does this really mean, and what does it look like in day-to-day parenting?
In this episode, I talk to Dr. Estelle Giraud, a PhD Scientist, leader in biotech and frontier medicine, and mother to a toddler. We chat about her transition into parenthood, and how her intuition has served her better than her book smarts. Estelle is a wonderful example of how keeping a growth mindset, and instilling one in our children, can create a more enjoyable, enriching, and developmental parenting experience.
Here’s a glance at this episode…
- [03:47] Learning about parenting vs experiencing it
- [06:03] Using your intuition as a parent
- [07:18] How to keep a growth mindset while raising kids
- [08:52] The “pause” and how it teaches children to work through things
- [12:09] How your child reacts to the expressions on your face
- [14:05] Teaching your children to have a growth mindset
- [16:44] Thinking about the adults your kids will become
- [18:47] The pluses and minuses of raising a baby during a pandemic
- [21:07] Advice for new moms
If you or someone you know is expecting, check out Birth School!
Take a moment now to follow the podcast on Apple, Google, or Spotify. It’s the best way to be notified when a new episode drops each week. These bite-sized episodes are perfect for listening during daycare drop-off, an evening walk, or a quick workout.
One last thing. I spend time each morning in meditation and would love to pray for you, your child or whatever’s on your heart. Simply email me and let me know how to pray. It can be as simple just your name or you can give a short explanation. Either way you can trust that I will do it. It’s a simple, quiet way for us to connect and for me to support you on your parenting journey. 🧡