Parenting in the First 3 Years Podcast
#16: Introducing Solid Food the Montessori Way
with Sarah Moudry
Little ones love to help, especially when it involves food. But our culture tends to exclude young children from the entire process of serving a meal. We sit them in a high chair, away from the table, a plate magically appears in front of them, and we feed them without letting them try it on their own. What if we started incorporating our infants and toddlers into every part of the meal? Could they help set up? Could they serve themselves and eat on their own? What about the inevitable mess?
In this episode, I talk to early childhood educator Sarah Moudry about how we can encourage our infants and toddlers to be active participants in mealtimes.
Sarah is an author, international speaker, and founder and owner of The Studio June, an early educational studio for young children and parents offering in-person and online classes. She is also an interior designer and spends much of her time creating both classroom and home Montessori environments where children can learn and develop.
Here’s a glance at this episode…
- [03:35] How can a young child participate in meals?
- [04:15] When your child should start eating meals with the family
- [05:58] Making sure your furniture works for your child
- [11:09] The importance of creating a place for your child at the table
- [13:35] Introducing and using an open cup
- [20:05] Why setting the table is an important step
- [23:56] Letting your child serve themselves
- [25:25] Cleaning up after a meal
Sarah and I had such an amazing conversation that I split it into two! In this bonus episode, we talk about how to turn your family kitchen into a Montessori kitchen so you can encourage hands-on learning during the prep and clean-up of meals.
Here’s a glance at this bonus episode…
- [01:21] How can you modify your kitchen for your child?
- [02:48] Why your child doesn’t need a play kitchen
- [05:00] Making the family kitchen accessible for everyone
- [08:30] Some things young children can cook
- [13:42] Grocery shopping with your kids and what it teaches them
- [15:37] What parents can do right now without having to buy a single thing
Click here to check out Sarah’s book, First Foods to Family Meals.
Take a moment now to follow the podcast on Apple, Google, or Spotify. It’s the best way to be notified when a new episode drops each week. These bite-sized episodes are perfect for listening during daycare drop-off, an evening walk, or a quick workout.
One last thing. I spend time each morning in meditation and would love to pray for you, your child or whatever’s on your heart. Simply email me and let me know how to pray. It can be as simple just your name or you can give a short explanation. Either way you can trust that I will do it. It’s a simple, quiet way for us to connect and for me to support you on your parenting journey. 🧡
RELATED BLOG POSTS TO CHECK OUT: