Parenting in the First 3 Years Podcast
#15: Introducing Foods to Infants and Toddlers to Raise Intuitive Eaters
with Dani Lebovitz
The way we talk about food in today’s culture is vastly different than when I was growing up (take a listen below to hear about my parents and their 5 lb block of cheese!). There’s a lot of talk out there about diet culture, but what does that really mean? How can we lead our children into a healthy relationship with food from introducing solids, all the way through their toddler years and beyond?
In this episode, I talk to pediatric registered dietitian nutritionist Dani Lebovitz about how we can raise healthy and intuitive eaters by the way we are introducing foods to infants and toddlers.
Dani is an author, early childhood education advocate, and Mom of 3 who founded Kid Food Explorers, a resource hub and learning platform that empowers families on their journey to raise confident, adventurous eaters.
Here’s a glance at this episode…
- [04:00] How our ideas about food have changed over the years
- [06:55] Does teaching our kids intuitive eating impact our own inner dialogue about food?
- [08:20] Growing up with diet culture in America
- [10:29] Letting your kids eat all the candy at holidays
- [11:59] How to get ready to introduce solids to your infant
- [14:17] When is your baby ready for solids?
- [16:54] What to do when your baby is ready, but not interested
- [22:26] 101 Descriptive Words for Food Explorers
- [23:45] Tips for parents to create a positive food relationship
Click here to check out Dani’s fabulous book, 101 Descriptive Words for Food Explorers. She also has free printables with creative food-play ideas, STEAM activities, and food-spiration for curious kids. Get access to these guides here.
Take a moment now to follow the podcast on Apple, Google, or Spotify. It’s the best way to be notified when a new episode drops each week. These bite-sized episodes are perfect for listening during daycare drop-off, an evening walk, or a quick workout.
One last thing. I spend time each morning in meditation and would love to pray for you, your child or whatever’s on your heart. Simply email me and let me know how to pray. It can be as simple just your name or you can give a short explanation. Either way you can trust that I will do it. It’s a simple, quiet way for us to connect and for me to support you on your parenting journey. 🧡
RELATED BLOG POSTS TO CHECK OUT: