Parenting in the First 3 Years Podcast
#13: Tips for Potty Training with Positivity
with Camilla McGill
How do you know when your child is ready to use the potty? How do you teach them to do it? Should you give them rewards or candy when they’re successful? What’s the best way to respond when they have an accident?
So many questions surround the simple task of learning to go to the bathroom– the skill that every child has to learn. And every parent scratches their head about it because there are so many mixed messages out there.
In this episode, I talk to parenting coach Camilla McGill about her tips for potty training that are gentle, nurturing, developmental, and positive – all the things I love! Plus she’s got a brand new book out that gives you step-by-step instructions and insight for your child.
Camilla is a mom of four adult children and has been a parent educator for over 20 years. She founded My Parenting Solutions which provides online courses, along with group and 1:1 coaching sessions for parents.
Here’s a glance at this episode…
- [02:48] When should you start thinking about potty training your child?
- [05:04] One potty use doesn’t mean it’s time
- [07:00] What to say during diaper changes to build positivity
- [08:25] If your child shows no curiosity whatsoever
- [11:20] Experiencing resistance from your child
- [13:06] Talking to your child about how their body works
- [16:15] Should you use external rewards for using the potty?
- [17:59] How language (or lack thereof) affects potty training
- [20:22] Making potty training fun
- [22:55] The biggest mistake parents make as they start potty training
Click here to grab a free copy of Camilla’s potty training guide! She also has a free guide to getting your child to listen without shouting or nagging. Check that out here.
Take a moment now to follow the podcast on Apple, Google, or Spotify. It’s the best way to be notified when a new episode drops each week. These bite-sized episodes are perfect for listening during daycare drop-off, an evening walk, or a quick workout.
One last thing. I spend time each morning in meditation and would love to pray for you, your child or whatever’s on your heart. Simply email me and let me know how to pray. It can be as simple just your name or you can give a short explanation. Either way you can trust that I will do it. It’s a simple, quiet way for us to connect and for me to support you on your parenting journey. 🧡
RELATED BLOG POSTS TO CHECK OUT: