Parenting in the First 3 Years Podcast
#11: How to Handle and Prevent Child Care Issues
with Dr. Zlata Stankovic-Ramirez
Things can get a little sticky when parents and childcare providers don’t see eye-to-eye on things like discipline, nutrition, and nurturing. But what power do parents have when they’re having child care issues at a large daycare facility? Or even stickier, how do they communicate with family members who are watching their kids, without ruining those relationships?
In this episode, I talk to childcare education expert Dr. Zlata Stankovic-Ramirez. We discuss how both verbal and nonverbal communication play a critical role in developing a trusting relationship between parents and a child care provider. We also tackle the tough question of how to set boundaries and communicate effectively with a family member who is watching your child.
Here’s a glance at this episode…
- [02:30] How child care providers should communicate with parents
- [04:05] Is it a transaction or a relationship?
- [07:50] What to do if the child care provider isn’t communicating how you’d like
- [09:55] Child care providers are not raising your child
- [10:52] Non-verbal communication with the child care provider
- [18:39] When your child is being watched by a family member
- [23:56] Tips for choosing a child care provider
- [30:07] Good child care at every cost and in every setting
Dr. Zlata Stankovic-Ramirez had so many amazing insights and anecdotes regarding our relationships with child care providers that it was hard to cut this episode down any further! Once we wrapped up, she told this amazing story about her son starting Pre-K, which turned into a difficult partnership between her and the child care provider. She gave some helpful tips on how to bring up issues with your child care provider, and how to create a partnership between you and them. I turned this into a bonus episode that you can listen to here, or on your favorite podcast platform:
Take a moment now to follow the podcast on Apple, Google, or Spotify. It’s the best way to be notified when a new episode drops each week. These bite-sized episodes are perfect for listening during daycare drop-off, an evening walk, or a quick workout.
RELATED BLOG POSTS TO CHECK OUT: