Parenting in the First 3 Years Podcast
#7: “Is She a Good Baby?” Exploring Infant Temperaments
with Ann McKitrick
There’s one question people commonly ask new parents that I can’t stand. And that’s, “is she a good baby?” Everyone wants an easy baby! But that’s such a broad description when there’s so much that goes into infant temperaments. What’s an “easy baby” anyways? One that sleeps well, doesn’t cry too much, and smiles a lot? Is that even realistic for a newborn?
In this episode of Parenting in the First 3 Years, we’ll explore why some babies seem to be easier than others. Hint: a lot of it has to do with your temperament as well!
Here’s a glance at this episode…
- [01:43] I was NOT an “easy” baby
- [04:07] What do people mean when they ask “Is she a good baby?”
- [04:59] The 9 traits used to describe infant temperaments
- [08:28] My thoughts on the Baby Wise method
- [10:18] Is your and your baby’s temperament compatible?
- [11:38] A quiz to identify you and your baby’s temperament
- [12:35] What you can do today with this information
Resources on Infant Temperaments
Wondering what your baby’s temperament is? Enter your email below and you’ll be instantly given links to a downloadable resource with a quiz to determine your infant or toddler’s temperament. (By submitting this form, you’ll be added to our email list, where you’ll receive weekly parenting tips and insight.)
Once the form is submitted, the links will appear above this line.
Articles to learn more:
The One Question About My Baby I Can’t Stand… (written by my daughter Megan!)
Take a moment now to follow the podcast on Apple, Google, or Spotify. It’s the best way to be notified when a new episode drops each week. These bite-sized episodes are perfect for listening during daycare drop-off, an evening walk, or a quick workout.
RELATED BLOG POSTS TO CHECK OUT: