Parenting in the First 3 Years Podcast
#37: Making Holiday Plans that Work for Your Child
with Prerna Richards
It’s time to make holiday plans, which will likely include get-togethers and parties with lots of people. What do you do when your child screams, clings to you and won’t be friendly with grandparents, relatives and friends you haven’t seen for a while? In this episode, Prerna Richards tells you why this happens, what’s going on developmentally and how you can help your child feel comfortable because your child can feel safe and secure even in new situations.
Prerna is an international speaker, behavior coach and NAEYC consultant. She’s been in the early childhood education field for 37 years. She is a master level trainer with the Texas Early Childhood Professional Development System. Her educational philosophy is grounded in a play-based approach along with a strong social-emotional foundation plus she’s the winner of Susan Hargrave trainer of the year award from TXAEYC in 2020.
To visit Prerna’s website click here.
You can also follow her on Facebook.
Here’s a glance at this episode…
- [03:04] Focus on experiences that create joyful memories
- [04:16] Ideas for holiday traditions to create for your family
- [06:30] Stranger anxiety: how to help your baby through it
- [09:20] How to respond when distant relatives grab or touch your baby
- [15:26] Difference between stranger anxiety and stranger anxiety disorder
- [20:22] Why you should acknowledge and name feelings and their cause, even with very young infants
- [26:00] One last word for grandparents
Take a moment now to follow the podcast on Apple, Google, or Spotify. It’s the best way to be notified when a new episode drops each week. These bite-sized episodes are perfect for listening during daycare drop-off, an evening walk, or a quick workout.
One last thing.
I spend time each morning in meditation and would love to pray for you, your child or whatever’s on your heart. Simply email me and let me know how to pray. It can be as simple just your name or you can give a short explanation. Either way you can trust that I will do it. No strings attached, no follow up or anything, just a quiet way for me to support you in your parenting journey. Because no one needs to feel alone. 🧡